Monday, November 9, 2009

Fall Crop Update Part IV

Blog aficionados, here goes my last installment of the fall crop updates. Today's post is the shortest installment and will feature what is growing in the cold frame.

I'll start with the ugly. This used to be 'Vates' kale and now is just sticks. There has definitely been some slugs at work here and all they left me was an excrement trail. It is to late for them to recover so I will be transplanting herbs from the garden into this spot, thyme, sage & orageno. With the herbs in the frame I should be able to harvest them all winter as long as the frame is not frozen shut.

Here is the mache that I am trying for the first time, It apparently is complelety winter hardy. It has really formed a thick carpet and is now ready for harvest. I will comment on taste after my first harvest.

Last but not least the spinach. It to has filled in very nicely and is ready for harvest now. I will look forward to harvesting both spinach and mache all winter long. Isn't trapping solar energy great!

10 comments:

  1. I just started my 1st garden, it's tiny but I love it;o) Your blog is great, I am learning a lot from it! Thank you.

    xOxO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started my 1st garden, it's tiny but I love it;o) Your blog is great, I am learning a lot from it! Thank you.

    xOxO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have sent you a little of that solar energy today. It was really hot working out in the sun! I'm looking forward to next week, when we should settle into the mid to high 70s. Your spinach looks delightful, I just planted some today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mache looks so pretty. Mine is only an inch across right now and spotty. I think the slugs liked it too much. I'm going to get more started next spring and hope it seeds itself all over the place. That would be nice. Edible weeds are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mache is still tiny. They are taking forever to grow. I think instead of trying to sow them into neat rows, I may just scatter the seeds. The germination rates for me have not been good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the mache, but the spinach looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning. My hubby and I have started a one-year journey with our destination being self-sufficiency! We built our garden this year, and will soon be putting up our greenhouse. Your postings offer us valuable information as well as great motivation. If you'd like to follow us on our journey, check us out at mmontysmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning. My hubby and I have started a one-year journey with our destination being self-sufficiency! We built our garden this year, and will soon be putting up our greenhouse. Your postings offer us valuable information as well as great motivation. If you'd like to follow us on our journey, check us out at mmontysmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some good winter salads in the works there. I just realized I have not planted ANY mache this year - and am amazed that I let that happen?! I think I will plant some in the barrels the peppers are in (greenhouse) once the peppers finally give out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    The first time that I have come across your website which must be unique. If any of your members are interested in self-sufficiency, in the broadest sense of the word, they may be interested in a new social networking site exclusively for self-sufficient vegetarians and vegans http://tssveg.ning.com ‘The self-sufficient Vegetarian’. We are hoping that a vegan will set up a discussion group.

    ReplyDelete