Friday, July 10, 2009

Melon Update

Here are the melons that I have growing on a trellis that is five feet wide and eight feet high. The varieties are Charentais Savor F1 and Petite Gris, both are a small french melon. I have them growing with black plastic that seems to be working pretty well with the cool season we have had thus far. You may notice the size difference, this is because I lost two plants early on to cold weather and had to reseed. It does show that it is a good idea to start melons 3o days early in peat pots, I just need to start a few extra encase of casualties next time.

The empty spot in front used to be lettuce that all bolted. I will be replanting with leeks tomorrow. Along the far side is 'Bright Lights' Chard that has been having a tough time with leaf miner. The leaf miners seem to have slowed down so I am hoping to harvest some of the greens shortly. The seed for the chard came from a trade with Daphne's Dandelions.

The melons have just started to bloom in the last few days. I was happy to seem them.

This may be one of the first fruits although it is hard to tell this early on. It does look very much like a little melon forming. I really can't wait to eat a sun warm melon right in the garden :-)

3 comments:

  1. The melons look like they are doing well. That does indeed look like a female flower forming in that last picture. Hopefully it will go on to be pollinated and mature into a melon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that melon sets for you. I was lucky with my chard. The leaf miners were on vacation when I was (and the week before). They seem to be back now, so I'm scraping off eggs again every couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne - I really need to start scraping the eggs, I'm so lazy at times :-)

    ReplyDelete