Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Road Trip To Toronto

December 6th we headed for Toronto to watch the Cavalcade of Lights show in Nathan Phillips Square. The show consists of musicians, festive lights, ice skating and what I went for, one amazing fireworks show. They shoot them off the roof of city hall as well as in front of the building, very cool!

It turned out to be a little bit of an unusual night because when we got into the city the dash board lights started to dim. I shrugged it off as a poorly charged battery from being in slow, stop can go traffic in the cold. So we proceeded to find the parking lot I saw on google satellite maps and we went to the show. After the show the truck started fine so we headed home. About 25 minutes after leaving the lot the dash lights went almost dead, all these gauges started to flash and the truck died. After a tow to a $24hr shop$ we left Toronto with a new alternator and many hundreds lighter. Did I leave out the part that we didn't get home until 3:30am?!

With the reliability of North American auto's aside it was a good night. Here is a series of photo's I took during the night:

Skating at Cavalcade of Lights
Skating Blur
Fireworks at Cavalcade of Lights 2

Fireworks at Cavalcade of Lights
There is actual people holding these fireworks,
scaling down the building on ropes
Fireworks at Cavalcade of Lights 3

Fireworks at Cavalcade of Lights 4

Young - Dundas Square
Young & Dundas Square
TD Centre
TD Centre
TD Centre & CN Tower
TD Centre & CN Tower
CIBC Lobby
CIBC Lobby


9 comments:

  1. Those are excellent photos Dan. I did not realize you were so close to Toronto. What a trip-you'll never forget it! Hope the battery is fixed is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are vivid photos and pyro-techno effects. I've only been to Toronto in the summer. In the winter it must be cold but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina - I am about 1-1.5 hours southwest of Toronto. The truck is running fine so far, lets hope it was fixed properly.

    Sally - Toronto in the winter can be nasty if it is windy. Those tall builds make it like a wind tunnel. I probably will not be back until it is warm again as the weather is just starting to turn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...That looked amazing, I have never seen fireworks shot off the side of a building. I can see why you would want to see that. I am sorry that your car had to break down...Hopefully you wont have that trouble ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Organic Gardener - It was a first for me to see fireworks shot off a building too.

    Kathy - Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow! Incredible fireworks photos! A very cool post...I want to visit Toronto now.

    Did you use a tripod?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parsec - Toronto is a very nice place to visit, lots to see and do. It is Kind of like the New York of Canada.

    I did use a tripod for all the photo's that night. The tripod is almost like my third arm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, now THAT'S a show! Great pics too!

    ReplyDelete